Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Last Journal of Krypton

June 16:

I cannot imagine that I have been living for fifty (Earth) years. I know I am Superman but wow, even time flies!

So what did I do prior to my 51st year? Let me change that thought. What did I do during those years EXCEPT for saving the world, for being Superman?

Nice one Clark. You chose a flashback narrative.

So where to begin?

I remember mom telling me the first time they saw me in that pod, on how hard it is for her to see me having trouble breathing.

“I thought you are not going to make it after a few days” she recalled, “but you defied the odds and lived through it.”

“I guess you are just one stubborn kid, because you still are Clark.”

You are right mom. I still am.

I grew up a happy Kansas farm boy. It was just me and the folks, living one day at a time. I was not Earth’s protector back then. I never thought I will turn into Superman. I was simply Clark Kent. I AM Clark Kent, and back then, those years were perfect.

I wish it could have lasted longer.

Everything changed that day. The soft glow of the morning sun pierced through my window and when it touched my skin, it was bliss for me. I knew there was something different. My body felt lighter. My vision got better. Whispers became louder. I can jump higher and run faster. It felt like I can do the impossible. It felt good, too good, and I loved it.

My dad didn’t.

Why will he not let me use these… gifts, these “powers”? I know who I am. I know what I am capable of. He does not know anything. He is not even my father. As far as I am concerned, I know better.

I thought I was anyway. I never imagined that I was wrong about it.

Maybe I was so mad that I cannot remember what caused the argument that day. It was one of those days that he tried to convince me not to explore these gifts. That day was supposed to be as simple as shrugging off what he is telling me, as if he was not there. Why should I listen to him anyway? It’s not like he can do anything about it.

All of a sudden, he grabbed my arm and tried talk to me. With one swift move, I pulled my arm and tried to walk off, but I never made another step. I felt a strong shiver down my spine that quickly rose up to my head. My heart started to beat faster, like it was trying to scream a word that I cannot understand. On the contrary, the message was crystal clear. My heart was telling me to look back.

No need for enhanced hearing Superman. You just heard a large thud. I looked back and I saw my dad down on the floor.

It felt bad whenever I remember that moment. I tried to help him up, but he refused, stood up on his own, and slowly walked away. I knew he was hurt, but I knew it was worse than the simple cut in his forehead. He left a changed man, a stronger, wiser man.

I was not able to move a muscle. I was not able to say a word. It just shows that even the mightiest of heroes can become the weakest.

>>> To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment